Royal Navy Settling In to Jutien

© 2006 Royal Kingdom of Gotzborg. All Rights Reserved. Originally published in The Gotzborg Eagle, reproduced under license to Sinclair Publications.

Eesdehaven, Jutien (GP) – Since the aquisition of the Duchy of Jutien from the Royal Crandish Republic, the state has been in transition mode. Although the Royal Crandish Republic maintained a military force, the War Office was quick to assemble both Army and Naval forces within the week of the announcement with the intention of establishing the authority of the Royal Kingdom in Jutien.

The War Office announced the formation of the Royal Northern Squadron from units of the Reserve Flotilla and Minorca Squadron and tasked them to carry the newly formed Jutien Brigade, commanded by Brigadier His Lordship Christopher the Count of Montrose, to the most far flung of Gotzborg’s possessions. The Squadron and its Army cargo were already a week out of port before the Grand Commonwealth called into question the legality of the Crandish Kings’ disposal of the states. Instead of being called back, the Squadron continued on its journey, being joined enroute by naval forces of the Viking Empire of Stormark, who provided escort the remainder of the way to Jutien.

Soon after the arrival of the Northern Squadron to Eesdehaven, the Jutien Brigade was disembarked and began to make their way throughout the Duchy, relieving the sparse groups of militias and units. There had been reports of some difficulty with the Sheriff of Northaven, although he was quickly relieved of his position and the City Constables told to remain at home while a unit of the Jutien Light Infantry (King Johanns’ Own) maintained order in the city. The City Constabulary has since been called back to work and the Light Infantry has taken up barracks in the city.

As the Crandish Diet gathered, the Northern Squadron struggled to find enough coal to properlly resupply the ships. Although the issue was rectified with the dispatch of a couple colliers from Altamore, these were not due to arrive for a couple weeks. In order to get ships out and patrolling territorial waters, the Squadron was forced to completely uncoal some ships to top up others. HRMS Anthelia and HRMS Solhausen were soon dispatched to sea with the three Gunboats, Sandpiper, Ladybird and Gannet to customs, fisheries and coast guard patrols. Meanwhile, the remainder of the Squadron remained in port without the fuel to conduct operations if need be.

“It was a difficult situation, which the Naval Planning Office has been reprimanded for,” a War Office Spokesman reported. “Never should any Naval asset be without ability to operate as may be required or needed. It goes against the standard of the Royal Navy.”

The Anthelia and Solhausen did see action in regards to their patrol, putting an end to the smuggling of expensive artifacts which were later found to have come out of some Royal Crandish government buildings. The items included, desks, tables, paintings, rugs, and other fixtures which had come out of buildings throughout the Principality. Although it could not be discovered where the items were destined to, one Squadron officer told the Eagle on condition of anonymity, “one of the scalliwags questioned after his boat was confiscated reported that the items were going to a rich Sheik or Khan in the Grand Commonwealth, however he was not able to provide more specific information to allow us to confirm this.”

%d bloggers like this: